2014-06-10

The End of the Road

After almost nine years, 2158 posts, and somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.1 million words, I've decided to retire The Francis Blog. I've thought about the right time to wrap it up for a while. Part of it is that time is fleeting - I mean, I'm still pretty irresponsible for a 34-year-old, but I'm nonetheless somewhat less irresponsible than I was as an irresponsible 25-year old, and it's just hard for me to prioritize blog writing in my schedule anymore. My publishing rate has slowed way down, from about 20 posts per month to right around 5, and frankly, I've already written about a lot of the things that I wanted to write down my thoughts about.

Although I've joked for years that I only have five readers, I really do appreciate all five of you, especially my loyal reader and friend Anonymous, and I'm flattered that anyone took the time to read The Francis Blog over the years. I had a great time writing it, and I hope that anyone who spent some time here was able to take away something from what I've written - maybe you laughed, or learned something, or discovered something new.

I'm going to spend some more time working on TFB - archving, revising and fixing mistakes from the past few years, and removing some of the old posts that aren't timely any more. I'm going to put together one more post to serve as a splash page, featuring an overview of the blog and an index and guide to some of my favorite posts.

Thanks again for reading.

9 comments:

David Stein said...

Sorry to see it finally end, but I understand the reasoning. Will you be continuing to tweet under @thefrancisblog so that I can continue to pretend to keep up with your life without actually putting any of the hard work or emailing or texting in?

Also, in semi-unrelated news: I have a friend who is moving to Cleveland to take a position at Case Western. You two would probably like each other.

Andy said...

Hi David, yes, I'll continue to Twitter as @thefrancisblog - much less maintenance and effort required for that. And hey, there's always the occasional GChat.

Well, if your friend is interested, he/she knows where to find me.

Ryan C said...

:*(
::slow clap::

Kyle said...

For what it's worth, I've enjoyed your stuff. Thanks for writing.

Anonymous said...

You should have posted more pictures of cats. People like pictures of cats. Jesus loves you, man. Also, Yankees suck.

-- Mister X

Rehan said...

What the hillel am I supposed to do at work now?

Dad said...

I will miss your blog, but fortunately I will still have you as my son, so I will have the pleasure of enjoying your wisdom and wit
Love, Dad

acep suherman said...

for mor see hay

Craig S said...

Andy, you have always had a superb blog that executes strongly to the finish line. I applaud your work and expect that you will continue to do heavy lifting in the sharing your innocuous and somewhat random thoughts on life and music.

By the way, you voted to keep me didn't you?